Updated: Mar 16, 2021
On the 20th of January 2021 Joe Biden was sworn in as the 46th president and Kamala Harris as vice president. A new era is beginning and we want to share the highlights of this memorable day!
1. In his inaugural address, Biden says "democracy has prevailed" and calls for an end to America's "uncivil war." Harris' historic moment.
2. Donald Trump decided not to be present, making him the first president to skip a successor's inauguration since Andrew Johnson.
3. Amanda Gorman, who became the country's first Youth Poet Laureate in 2017, read a poem she wrote for the occasion called "The Hill We Climb."
4. Biden warned new White House employees during a swearing-in ceremony that he would terminate them if he found they are disrespectful to one another
5. A man in uniform knelt at the grave of President Biden’s son, Beau, during the president’s inaugural address.
6. Mr. Biden sat down at the Resolute Desk and began trying to reverse former President Donald Trump’s legacy, signing 17 orders that will require people to wear masks in federal buildings, bring the United States back into the Paris climate agreement, repeal Mr. Trump’s order banning people from traveling to the country from several predominantly Muslim countries and temporarily halt construction of a wall along the border with Mexico, among other things.
7. President Biden told reporters the letter Donald Trump left for him in the Oval Office was "very generous," but declined to give specifics.
“President Trump wrote a very generous letter. Because it was private, I won’t talk about it before I talk to him, but it was generous,” Biden told reporters as he signed executive orders at the Resolute Desk.